Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why Don't the Buses Go Everywhere, All the Time?

So I got a promotion and am now working in a different part of town. There is no bus service near where I work. The closest stop is nearly a mile away and the road I'd have to walk up to get to work from the bus stop has no sidewalks. Also the times, even if I decided to walk the mile, would be pretty inconvenient.

So I'm wondering why the bus doesn't go down Long Shoals Road. Someone came into the library yesterday and said that her friends had told her that it did indeed stop at the Ingles on Long Shoals, but looking on the route maps, I couldn't find any evidence of that. The library is at the convergence of an elementary school, a middle school and a high school (I'm thinking staff here--teachers, cafeteria workers, custodians.) Long Shoals is a busy, busy road. A hotbed of activity and people going to jobs. All the new businesses in Biltmore Park, also the YMCA is out there. The Waffle House, Ingles...Surely it's just a matter of time...On the other hand, it's quite upper middle class out there...

If I'm wrong and a route has been added I will be very very happy. I'd still have to walk a little ways from the corner of Overlook and Longshoals, but it wouldn't be bad. If I'm wrong, someone out there let me know!

I want to go downtown today. I would ride the bus today if I could, but, alas, it's Sunday and there is no service. Do buses run on Sundays in other cities the size of Asheville?

4 comments:

Miss Maggie said...

I just got back from D.C. Made me really miss mass transit!!!

Also, in case you're interested, my friends Angela and Dorea do a blog called Car Free With Kids. You might want to check it out. http://carfreewithkids.blogspot.com

<3 Maggie

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, welcome to South Asheville. We have buses that run every 1.5 hours on 25, and virtually no sidewalks anywhere!

As for bus service to Biltmore Park . . . do you really think that Biltmore Park wants to help the panhandlers move from the airport and downtown to the junction with 26 with greater ease? Also this is the land of Biltmore Baptist; a mega church that manages to block large swaths of Long Shoals, Clayton, and Brevard Roads for hours on Sunday. The traffic is so bad that six or so sheriff officers have to disable stop lights and manually direct it. Of course driving the opposite direction one sees SUVs and sedans carrying (gasp!) only one or two people.

I completed the transit service survey, and yes it would be great to have shelters and great frequency, but I think Sunday service is much more important.

redhead said...

Upper middle class and wealthy neighborhoods usually have pretty good bus service - how do you think their maids get to work?

Russ Finley said...

I get around Seattle on this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV4FxzprGfg

Much faster than a bus, or car for that matter. I expect that hybrid electric single occupant human assistsed vehicles will become common in the future.