Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Counting Cars

This morning was CALM getting ready to catch the bus. And I hadn't planned the night before. I just got up earlier! I'm learning, slowly.


We were early to catch the bus this morning and the bus was about 10 minutes late. The paper finally ran an article (of sorts) about riding the bus. It was a little blurb reporting that buses were late today because lines of cars filled with people trying to buy gas are blocking the streets. I believe it, because that's what I saw when we were riding home last night. Cars were even blocking an intersection near one of the gas stations.


Since we were early, I counted cars while I waited at the bus stop. I stopped when I got to 120. In my unscientific count, there were 100 cars with just 1 adult in them; there were 20 cars with more than 1 adult. I have to say that two weeks ago, I was in a car with just 1 adult. But I am trying to change my habits. I really thought, with everyone panicking about a gas shortage, that I would have seen more carpoolers. I did see more people on bicycles. And there was actually another person at the bus stop with us.

Here are some things on my wish list for Asheville:

A transit system with more options--longer hours, buses more frequently, more bus stops.
Buses that use alternative fuel
A county-wide transit system
More sidewalks
More bike lanes and bike paths
Citizens and leaders who believe in making alternative public transportation a priority.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I agree with your wish list.