Friday, March 13, 2009

A Walk in the Reeds

I would completely leave this one to the rats, but my co-blogger insists that I write up this particular experience, so here goes. My memory of it is hazy.

Four weeks ago today, I attended an event on the A-B Tech campus, and sheer stubbornness compelled me to ride the bus to work, then take #8 (I would have had to wait another 30 minutes for a better bus) down Biltmore Avenue. As it was, I had to walk about a mile to get from Biltmore Avenue to Ferguson Auditorium on the A-B Tech campus, then I enjoyed a prrogram with Indian Masters.

I totally underestimated the walk home. I could have walked back to downtown (this was after 6:30 PM, and dark), but I aimed to save time by walking home along Victoria, Meadow and Amboy Roads, then State Street. After all, I could have walked back to the transit station (which is probably a twenty or thirty minute walk from Ferguson), then waited for the 7:30 bus, but I thought I could walk home and arrive before 8:10, which would have been my ETA, had I walked to downtown and ridden the bus to Haywood Road.

I was probably correct about the time savings, but this route was far too dangerous. First of all, there is no sidewalk along part of Victoria Road. In fact, I had to huddle against a guard rail with oncoming cars swishing by me. Then, on Meadow Road, where there is again no sidewalk, I chose to walk outside the guard rail for part of the distance (again, it was dark), stomping down on waist-high reedy plants. Much of the time I could not see where I was putting my feet. Scary. Walking in the grass along Amboy Road was a bit safer, though I could see very little, due to the combination of darkness and headlights shining directly in my eyes. At least, along Amboy Road, I did not have tall plants in my path. The walk up State Street was safer still (there is a sidewalk on State Street, and there are street lights). I can't remember exactly, but I think perhaps it took me an hour and twenty minutes to walk home that night.

Of course, if there had been a city bus coming through the A-B Tech campus at 7:00 (or even if there had been a bus travelling along Biltmore Avenue at 7:00), I would have surely chosen to use it. But no.

Oh, and even though it was cold, I walked with my jacket open, so that drivers might see my white shirt rather than crash into me. When I got home, I was tired.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

So, too bad you are a minority. You know, people who WANT to ride the bus. Cause if there were more of you then surely things would change. You and Sherry are two in a million. I appreciate all you guys are doing to help that process. I will do what I can. I may even figure out how to ride the bus myself to work once a week now that I work downtown. I will aim for Fridays since I don't have anything to do after work on those days which would make me have to get home in good time to turn around and go back out right away.

Alyssa said...

For sidewalks, you could have walked down Victoria Rd to Livingston St and from there down past Greens and the River District. Then you could've walked past the Soapy Dog, Dave Steel and the clay artists' co-op to catch Haywood Rd--and maybe even that evening Haywood Rd bus for the last bit home.

Ken said...

Alyssa, you're right. Next time, I will probably do that.

My goal, though, was to get home before that bus could have done so. It was poorly conceived and ill-advised, I know, but that's why I attempted the walk in the reeds.