Thursday, October 23, 2008

Blizzard Tech Guy, Loud Pater Familias and a Soggy-Bottomed Purse

This is Thursday and I haven't driven my car at all this week. Monday was the first time that I rode the bus at 8:30 at night and walked down Brevard road by myself in the dark. But it was okay. It looks like I can also ride the bus tomorrow. So, a full week of bus riding. Woo-hoo!

We missed the Brevard Road bus on Tuesday. We got out there around 8:08 I think. We always shoot for 8:00. We saw it going past just as we got out of the house. This bus is really variable. Sometimes it is there by 8:08. But sometimes, like Wednesday morning, it was 8:18! Anyway, missing it isn't such a big deal, because we still have plenty of time to walk up to Haywood Rd. and catch the #1 at 8:35. The only drawback, when we do that, is that we are a few minutes late to work.

Each group of passengers gives the day's bus ride a different flavor. Tuesday evening's ride was loud, mainly due to BlizzardTech guy. He is a regular rider and has a very sonorous voice. It's really quite a beautiful voice. Unfortunately, what he chooses to talk about is usually pretty annoying. Tuesday he spent most of the ride complaining that his nipples were sore because someone had twisted them. (His off button needed to be twisted!) Anyway, I wish someday he would break out into an uplifting speech (or an a cappella solo) of some sort. He was rapping one time, but again, the subject matter left a lot to be desired.

The other morning we were regaled by a loud Pater Familias. We learned that he has 8 kids. The youngest, who is 18, goes to Asheville High, where Pater Familias had been called in recently to take care of something. He also has 8 grandkids. One of the little kids on the bus came and sat by him and Paterfamilias kept insisting: "Get yo thumb out yo mouth."

The same morning of the Paterfamilias, one of the young women hauled her toddler onto the bus, carrying him by one arm.

A few of the rides this week have been totally quiet. I still haven't gotten to the point where I read during the commute. Maybe the novelty will wear off soon, but so far it is fun to people watch and to overhear (otherwise known as eavesdropping--but when people are yelling is it really eavesdropping?)

And finally, this morning, I was walking down the street. My leg started feeling a little damp. It turns out that my water bottle was leaking inside my cloth purse and dripping out onto the sidewalk. It's the middle of the day and my pants are still damp. My purse is still wet. All the junk inside my purse is damp. All the little receipts and papers that litter my purse are wet beyond recognition!

3 comments:

Ken said...

Why do you call him BlizzardTech guy?

Sherry said...

Because his workshirt has the logo BlizzardTech on back.

Lynn said...

This is another cracked me up post: "His off button needed to be twisted"
Ha HA HA