Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Three Weeks and How's It Going?

It's been 3 weeks now, so I think it is time for some reflection about how my experiment is progressing. I'm pleased to say that, as far as work goes, I have succeeded so far. I've managed to ride the bus or carpool every day. Adapting to the bus schedule has become much less chaotic!


Leisure activities on weekends are harder. For instance, I wanted to see Obama in Asheville this Sunday. I would gladly have ridden the bus, but there is no bus service on Sunday. So I did drive to that. I parked a mile away, but still, I drove my car into town. I also combined two shopping trips with it. I would have combined one more, but Amazing Savings is not open on Sunday. I am having serious Amazing Savings withdrawal, but I'm probably saving money by not rushing out every few days to Amazing Savings to see what I can buy to save money!

Having my consciousness raised about how much I use a car is a real drag. I really don't like to think about it. At the same time, I am happy to be using public transportation. I just wish it were a little more convenient. For me, it couldn't be cheaper, now that I can flash my county ID and get a free bus ride! So that's great!

Here is a link to an Asheville bus entry on a blog that Ken found: http://hightechsurvivor.blogspot.com/2007/06/better-than-no-bus-at-all.html

No comments: